Cyxtera is named as a Sample Vendor in the Gartner® Hype Cycle™ for Infrastructure Strategy, 2022
The recently published Gartner® Hype Cycle™ for Infrastructure Strategy, 2022, examines the 27 most-hyped innovations in infrastructure strategy. This year’s Hype Cycle, in which Cyxtera is named a Sample Vendor, notes that Bare Metal as a Service (BMaaS) is a high-benefit technology that is gaining traction with enterprises.
At Cyxtera, we’ve long known the value that bare metal provides as it offers the best of both worlds — the speed and agility of public cloud combined with the security, control, and performance of dedicated colocation infrastructure, all in an on-demand model. Part of its appeal, Gartner explains, lies in its ability to offer “faster and more agile ‘physical’ infrastructure deployment, and efficiency in meeting elasticity and scalability demands.”
BMaaS offers the speed and agility of public cloud, with far greater control over workload and data placement, the report notes. Take the Cyxtera Bare Metal offering, by way of example. Available across Cyxtera’s global platform, it is ideal for organizations looking to seamlessly extend their existing colo environment or rapidly expand into new markets without the burdens of maintaining in-house assets, including lengthy implementation cycles, depreciating assets, or high staffing costs.
The report goes on to mention several key factors behind Bare Metal’s growing popularity, namely:
- “The ability to act like a public cloud rather than a dedicated hosting environment — programmable automation, elastic scalability down to the individual host level, and pay-as-you-go (PAYG) economics and consumption models — is attractive.
- There is interest in cloud-native technologies as a path toward cloud independence and to reduce lock-in.
- Bare metal may solve the issue of physical workload location addressing the concerns that highly centralized offerings may pose, either due to latency concerns, enterprise control, or data sovereignty and regulations.”
- Being faster to deploy and in some cases, less costly, than physical infrastructure
Cyxtera seeks to help enterprises maximize the benefits of BMaaS by providing:
- On-demand, subscription-based access to a separate, isolated unit dedicated to a single customer and offering secure, high-performance power and connectivity
- Native IPMI-level server access, providing total control from the motherboard up
- A variety of server configurations available from leading enterprise brands, including Fujitsu, HPE, Nutanix, and NVIDIA
- Rapid access to compute power for even the most bandwidth-intensive artificial intelligence and machine learning (AI/ML) workloads
- Predictable monthly billing with the ability to scale up as needed
If you’re interested in learning more about Bare Metal as a Service, download a complimentary copy of the Gartner Hype Cycle™ for Infrastructure Strategy, 2022 report today and learn how Cyxtera Enterprise Bare Metal can help your business.
Gartner, Hype Cycle for Infrastructure Strategy, By Philip Dawson, Nathan Hill, 11 July 2022.
Gartner and Hype Cycle are registered trademarks of Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and internationally and are used herein with permission. All rights reserved. Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, express or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
Views and opinions expressed in our blog posts are those of the employees who made them and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Company. A reader should not unduly rely on any statements made therein.