UPDATED: December, 2020
COVID-19 Statement for Customers and Partners
Cyxtera continues to closely monitor the impact of COVID- 19 on data center operations. Our priorities are providing a safe workplace and maintaining continuity of services to our customers. In order to best respond to government guidance and fast-changing risk factors, we have changed certain internal procedures and implemented additional security controls.
Changes to Data Center Access
Only “business-essential” Cyxtera, vendor and customer personnel are allowed on site. Business essential is defined as break-fix activity or upgrades that cannot be postponed.
All visitors to Cyxtera data centers; including employees, customers, contractors, and vendors, are verbally screened prior to being allowed entry. This screening is conducted via a questionnaire at the entrance to the facilities. Anyone who answers “yes” to any of these questions will be denied access:
- Are you experiencing cold or flu-like symptoms including fever?
- Have you been exposed to someone who has been tested for or diagnosed with Coronavirus in the past 14 days?
- Have you traveled to a high-risk area that is subject to a travel health notice?
Changes to Data Center Policies & Procedures
- Cyxtera data center personnel are divided into teams that limit the risk of infection to the greatest extent possible.
- Personnel are required to practice elevated personal hygiene and social distancing measures while in our facilities, including:
- Minimize face-to-face meetings.
- Use the telephone, online conferencing, email, or instant messaging to conduct business even when working in the same building.
- If a face-to-face meeting is unavoidable, minimize the meeting time and maximize personal space while meeting.
- Avoid person-to-person contact such as shaking hands, fist bumps, pats on the back, etc.
- Avoid nonessential gatherings, workshops, and training sessions.
- Frequent hand washing with warm, soapy water for at least twenty seconds.
- Frequent cleaning of personal workstations and common touch points.
- Common areas may be restricted in certain facilities as circumstances warrant.
In the event Cyxtera is notified that any individual that visited one of our facilities has tested positive for COVID-19 we quickly notify those customers, partners, vendors, and employees that may be impacted as a result of the positive test. In this communication Cyxtera provides all the relevant information related to the timing of when the individual last visited the data center, specific areas within the data center the person accessed, the assessed level of risk to individuals that may have accessed the same areas, and the mitigation steps we’re taking.
Face-Covering Guidelines Q&A for Data Center Customers, Contractors, and Visitors
Why has Cyxtera established this guideline for wearing face coverings in a data center?
Cyxtera has established this guideline based on a United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) health advisory to the general public. It shall apply to everyone which enters a Cyxtera data center, regardless of country.
How does this guideline also apply to customers/contractors/visitors?
Customers/contractors/visitors working on-site must supply their own face coverings. In certain instances, Cyxtera may be able to provide a face covering if local supplies are available, otherwise the individual will not be allowed access into the building. If the customer/contractor/visitor has reason to return on another day, they must provide their own face covering for each day thereafter.
When should I wear a face covering?
You are asked to wear a face covering over your nose and mouth any time you are within 6 feet of another person while working in a data center. Wearing a face covering does not eliminate the need to physically distance yourself from others and to wash your hands frequently.
Face coverings are optional if you are working for an extended period of time in an area with no contact to another person.
What face coverings are acceptable?
Customers/contractors/visitors are requested to provide their own face covering which can be homemade from cloth or purchased commercially.
Only plain face coverings which incorporate a solid color, floral, or geometric pattern are allowed. The face covering is not to convey any design (print, words or image) which may be offensive to others.
What are my cloth face covering options?
The CDC provides a helpful webpage with instructions on face coverings are most effective at limiting the spread of COVID-19.
How should I wear a face covering?
When wearing a face covering it is important to keep your nose and mouth covered. Lowering the covering from your nose and mouth while talking defeats the purpose of wearing the face covering since you can spread the virus while you talk.
How long will this guideline remain in place?
Cyxtera will continue to monitor the COVID-19 guidance from governmental agencies and will amend when necessary.
As conditions evolve, any modifications to these procedures will be posted here.
Should you have any questions, please reach out to your Customer Care representative through the Cyxtera Customer Portal or through our contact page.